Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Atittude

Isn't it funny how attitude really does change everything? I mean, I always knew it was true and I believed it but it wasn't until today that I saw it. Okay, maybe I should change that. I've seen it in my life and others before but today it was different.
Let’s start at the beginning. I've had trouble with my choir teacher ALL year! He’s been driving me crazy! But today I had to come early for something and I was just gonna deal with it and I decided to go and try to enjoy myself and ya know what happened? I loved it. It was an absolute blast! And it started my day off so nicely!  I was in a good mood when I finally got to class and I was prepared for everything that was coming my way.
But it gets better!
I was in my advanced cooking class (called ProStart) and there was SERIOUS drama! First off let me explain, there are some groups who………….are less effective, and slightly more idle. The largest group happens to be this group of boys who are amazingly creative and quite capable when it comes to producing a final product. However, they are not the best when it comes to time management or cleanup. Frequently their jobs are done by my group or others and it’s slightly frustrating. So their cupcake project was going beautifully, if a bit slow, while ours fell apart! I have no words for how fantastic it was! So just check out the pictures….


…..it was amazing. I don’t know if I've ever messed up so bad in my life :) It was an impressive feat. So a couple of my group were suddenly stressed out of their mind. I, however, just died! I started laughing and couldn't stop. It was just so funny to me! So from that point I was just in a super good mood. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn't delighted that our assignment for the day had bombed so terribly but what was I supposed to do!? It wasn't like we could fix it at that point, we just had to start over. But then my friend Alex and I got the more-than-gentle impression that we should do something other than cupcakes for the rest of class. So we started on the dishes with our friend Kristina. Well we had a blast! We laughed like crazy and got so much work done and it was just fun. Quite possibly the best time I've ever had in that class.
And then things went downhill. It was quite literally the last five or ten minutes of class and everyone who hadn't been working decided to start working and so OF COURSE it wasn't going to all be done by the bell. Dishes and cleanup are the longest part and everyone lollygags. That’s so not our fault though. And we’d done a lot so we moved away from the dishes and started on counters, clearing down and wiping off. Then some of our peers who we try to think positively of, despite the difficulties we have with them, yelled at me. Now you’re reading this, you can’t tell that the whole time I've been quite amused in my writing up until now. I don’t like yelling, and I don’t tolerate yelling at me. Especially when they yell “Don’t leave! You have to help! You haven’t helped all class!!” and I have never wanted so badly to smack someone. I had been doing SO much work for probably more than half the class and HE was yelling at ME…….I wasn't happy. But I was just like “Dude chill! I wasn't going to leave.” and I kept helping. Then our teacher (I wouldn't say yell but…) yelled at my friends to get to work and that just grated on their nerves.
Neither of them is a bad kid. They work really hard and their good people, excellent students, super hard workers. Well she yelled at them and that was so uncool. We hadn't done anything wrong and we always feel like she’s picking favorites with those boys in our class and it just isn't fair. It’s not. And you know how I hate injustice! It’s infuriating!! We talked and I let them all vent (to be fair I wasn't the happiest camper either but I was trying to remain positive and I was still totally laughing at our cupcake attempts, I mean just look at it…..


….tolja). And then I was like, “Let’s lodge a formal complaint” and I could tell that Alex was a little like “...no, I don’t know” because that’s crazy scary so I don’t blame her. I was a little hesitant now that I’d said it too! At this point Kristina had gone (in tears? Not totally sure) and our friend Kayela was trying to be supportive and help out. Well we did. We made a complaint and we talked to our principal about it and ya know what? I felt really good about it. I felt like we’d gone through the proper channels and our principal gave us some advice, made us promise to come back after we talked to our teachers and it was just good. It was like I real restoration in my faith in authority. So I don’t know how things are gonna go but my attitude about everything has just made today brilliant! This is a long story to make a simple point but just remember that attitude isn't everything, but it certainly can change everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment