Thursday, March 20, 2014

Teach Me To Be Brave

I wanna be brave. Sometimes I think I am and sometimes people tell me that I am but then I doubt it. So frequently I can't breath and I panic because I become so afraid. People are forever talking about fairy tales and Disney movies. Happy endings and grand adventures. Handsome superheros and beautiful villains. Then I get so caught up in all of the excitement, my heart races, I get flushed, I can't stop rattling on about how much I love it and then everyone goes away. People go home, or go to bed and I'm all alone.
They tell me I'm so brave and people are so proud or so impressed with me because of my strength. They say I do things with confidence that would terrify so many others. I walk into situations and experiences excited and capable where others fumble and give up. But at the end of the day it wasn't anything special and I'm alone again.
I can do a lot of things that other people can't. But sometimes I wish I could just do the things that everyone else can do without falling to my knees in panic and trying to remind myself to breath. There are a lot of types of bravery. Sometimes it's fixing your own mistakes and having the courage to make things right. Other times it's being willing to sacrifice yourself for others because you believe in something. You have a cause. Then there's just being brave. Brave enough to do the right thing all the time and listening to the spirit when you hear him because you're brave enough. Because you have enough faith.
In Disney's Brave Merida makes a mistake but is willing to do the work to make it right. In Frozen Anna is willing to sacrifice her life for her sisters. Ariel follows her heart even though she doesn't make all the best choices. Cinderella braves the wrath of her stepmother for long enough to live out a dream. Tiana is brave enough to dream big and to chase after her dream without hesitation. Then when she faces a severe change in plans she's brave enough to change with them. Wendy is brave enough to grow up. Jasmine wants to be free, she wants to experience something and she's brave enough to run away, if only for one day. Rapunzel is brave enough to follow her dreams, to fall in love, and to chase after the adventure she's always wanted. The point is, they're all brave enough to dream.
How can I be that kind of brave if I don't even know what my dreams are? I want adventure but I don't want to get lost along the way. I want to fall in love but I don't want to get hurt. I want to be flexible enough to change but I don't want to readjust my plans. I want to be independent but I don't want to grow up. I can barely dream about having a good day, how can I dream about anything larger? I want to be brave but I don't know how.
I get so caught up watching and reading these adventures but when I find myself sitting alone I suddenly remember all the reasons I'm afraid. All the reasons I can't. I don't know how to be brave. I don't know how I'd face an adventure if it presented itself to me. I'm barely brave enough to walk out the door smiling each day let alone anything more distant or more pressing. How can I be brave?

No comments:

Post a Comment